EPWS 310 MAKE-UP EXAM 2, 2000
1. (2 pts each) Define the following terms:
2. a) (3 pts) What environmental conditions favor powder mildews and why?
b) (4 pts) How can you microscopically differentiate the genera of powdery mildew fungi? downy mildew fungi?
c) (3 pts) What are two ways that Plasmodiophorales lead to losses?
d) (4 pts) How can late blight of potato be controlled? What is the genus/species of the causal agent?
e) (4 pts) What are two methods to control damping off?
3. (12 pts) Discuss the evolution of the different classes of fungi and fungal-like organisms. Be sure to differentiate between primitive characteristics and more advanced features.
4. (18 pts) Compare and contrast Pythium root rot of vegetables with Phytophthora foot and crown rot of trees, including colonization, disease, overseasoning structures, asexual spore formation, environmental effects, and control.
5. (12 pts) What is the nuclear state of Oomycete and Ascomycete mycelia and when does plasmogamy, karyogamy, and meiosis occur?
6. (22 pts) Compare and contrast the current life/disease cycle of Phytophthora capsici causing root rot of chile with that of soft rot of peach caused by Rhizopus stolonifer. Make sure to include both reproductive phases as well as dissemination and overseasoning, primary inoculum, secondary cycles, and control.
(8 pts extra credit) Outline the disease/life cycle of the peach leaf curl. What is the genus/species of the causal agent?